We are leading the way in developing green, enabling biotechnology and nanotechnology drug delivery platforms and enhanced therapeutic products for health maintenance, disease prevention and the treatment of certain cancers, infectious diseases and Central Nervous System (CNS) disorders such as Alzheimer’s Disease. Aphios®, which means “virus-free” in Greek, was founded in 1993 as a Delaware C corporation. The company was founded by Dr. Trevor P. Castor, President, and CEO, to develop enabling technology platforms around the delivery and viral safety of biologics such as human plasma and recombinant therapeutics, hence its “virus-free” name. At its founding, the Company elected to spend about 10% of its research activities on investigating natural therapeutics.
Find locations served, office locations
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Clinical Services
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
This interest has evolved to the realization that in order to solve the problems of cancer and aging, we have to look to nature, marine organisms and terrestrial plants that have learned how to control cell growth and cancerous mutation, often living for hundreds to thousands of years.
Taking Nature’s Wisdom to a Higher Level
Using advanced scientific techniques, we are improving drug delivery, accelerating the drug discovery and manufacturing process, removing harmful pathogens from biologics and the human blood supply and working to provide a viable biofuel solution for the future.
Aphios® initially focused on basic and applied research to develop its broad platform of enabling technologies, generate its intellectual property portfolio and initiate the establishment of a rich pipeline of ethical and over-the-counter (OTC) products.
During this R&D phase, the Company’s technologies were validated through several collaborations with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. The Company’s technologies have also been critiqued, tested and validated through highly competitive cooperative agreements with the Advanced Technology Program (ATP), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), US Department of Commerce, and peer-reviewed Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Aphios® has 36 issued U.S. and international patents and 15 patents pending, as well as 2 patents and 3 patents pending with collaborators and several trademarks.
Developing Natural Solutions for Human Health
Utilizing our enabling technology platforms, we are developing enhanced therapeutics for treating cancers and their side effects, infectious diseases such as HIV and Influenza, and CNS disorders. We also manufacture quality-of-life medicines for health maintenance, research chemicals for standards, APIs for pharmaceuticals and equipment for our enabling technology platforms.
Our lead therapeutic products include:
- Zindol®, an enhanced ginger product in Phase III for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV) with potential applications in post-operative nausea and vomiting (PONV), pregnancy-related nausea and vomiting (PRNV) and motion sickness nausea and vomiting (MSNV)
- APH-1104, a potent protein kinase C (PKC) activator in Phase I/II as an intravenous therapeutic for ameliorating Alzheimer’s Disease pathophysiology and cognitive impairment with neuroprotection, and being reformulated for oral administration by conventional and nanotechnology methods
- APH-0812, a combination therapy consisting of PKC modulators with or without HDAC inhibitors in Phase I, designed to reactivate latent HIV reservoirs so that HIV can be eliminated by antiviral therapy and eradicated from the body
- APH-0701, a nontoxic Vitamin D3 derivative for hormone-refractory prostate cancer (HRPCA) in formulation development for both intravenous and oral administration by conventional and nanotechnology methods, designed to have increased antiproliferative effects while reducing systemic toxicity through increased specificity
Partnering for the Future of Human Health
Aphios® has had partnerships/collaborations with Novartis, Basel, Switzerland and Cambridge, MA; Bayer, Research Triangle Park, NC; Bristol-Myers Squibb, Wallingford, CT and Princeton, NJ; Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, IN; Baxter Healthcare, Los Angeles, CA and Norwood, MA; Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Cambridge, MA; Instituto BioMar, Leon, Spain; VivaCell Biotechnology, Cordoba, Spain; Quiral, Juiz de Fora, Brazil; the Gillette Company (now Procter & Gamble), Boston, MA and other multinational and emerging biotechnology companies.
We also supply specialty research chemicals, mostly rare, complex natural products, to distributors such as Sigma-Aldrich, St. Louis, MO; Biomol (now Enzo), Plymouth Meeting, PA; Tocris, Bristol, England; Chromadex, Irvine, CA; and Axxora, San Diego, CA.
We are seeking partners and investors to further the development and utilization of our enabling technology platforms and enhanced therapeutic products pipeline. We are interested in working with individuals and companies dedicated to improving quality of life, maintaining health and treating unmet medical needs.
- Awarded a Fast Track Phase I & II SBIR grant from the National Institute on Aging (NIA), NIH amounting to $2.9 million over three years to develop an “Alzheimer’s Disease Therapeutic”
- Completion of a successful multicenter Phase II/III randomized, placebo-controlled, 644-patient clinical trial of Zindol®, an enhanced ginger product in gel capsules, as adjunctive therapy for CINV
- Nanoencapsulation of siRNA using Aphios’ SuperFluids™ CFN technology to improve its delivery and therapeutic efficacy in collaboration with a top 5 multinational pharmaceutical company
- Small Business Commerce Association 2011 Best of Business Woburn Award for Biotechnology Research
- Frost & Sullivan 2009 North American Excellence in Healthcare Technology Innovation of the Year Best Practices Award in the field of Enhanced Nanodrug Therapeutic Systems for SuperFluids™ nanodrug solubility, encapsulation, and delivery platforms
- Cleantech 2007 Pharma & Biotech Venture & Partnering Award, NSTI 10th Annual Nanotech Conference & Trade Show, Santa Clara, CA
- Aphios’ business model is a hybrid one consisting of enabling technology platforms and enhanced therapeutic products.
- We will collaborate with strategic corporate partners and/or license our enabling technology platform to research and develop novel drugs, and for the reformulation of existing drugs to reduce toxicity and improve efficacy and therapeutic index while extending product life.
- We will also collaborate with strategic investors and corporate partners to further the development and commercialization of our therapeutic products.
- We will contract manufacture quality-of-life medicines for health maintenance, research chemicals for standards, APIs for pharmaceuticals and equipment for our enabling technology platforms, and provide contract services for the manufacturing and sterile formulation of APIs for early-stage clinical trials.
Aphios’ business model is designed to develop enabling technologies and enhanced therapeutics for maintaining health and resolving unmet medical needs while maximizing profitability and minimizing risks.