Self-screen has a long history and track record in translational HPV related science. The company was founded in 2008 to advance the implementation of scientific discoveries in the field of HPV related cancer screening into routine practice. Our dedication is towards the development and clinical application of molecular assays for the early detection of anogenital (pre)cancers, to the benefit of patients and health care programs around the world. Currently, the company™s main focus is on cervical (pre)cancer screening and prevention. Self-screen has two clinically validated molecular assays on the market. We strive towards full-molecular screening to ensure sensitivity, objectivity, reproducibility and high-throughput possibilities. Our research and development pipeline focuses on extension towards other sample types, such as self-collected specimens or urine, various platforms as well as towards other cancer types.
Medical and health care urgency
- Every year over 300.000 women around the world are dying unnecessary from cervical cancer.
Cervical cancer develops from a persistent HPV-infection. Cervical cancer is the fourth common cancer in women. In 2018, an estimated 570.000 women were diagnosed with the disease worldwide and about 311.000 died from the disease. However, cervical cancer can be effectively prevented by prophylactic HPV Vaccination and cervical screening.
- Self-Screen offers the best possible molecular tests to identify the women at risk for cervical cancer and its precursor lesions.
- Subsequently Self-screen’s assays can identify the women with progressing premalignant lesions or early stage cancer in need of treatment.
When early diagnosed, cervical cancer is one of the most successfully treatable forms of cancer, as long as it is detected early and managed effectively. Self-screen offers the best-in-class HPV-screenings tests and in addition, a molecular follow up test based on epigenetic markers, that identifies women with progressing premalignant lesions in need of treatment.
- Helping health care institutes and treating clinicians to detect cervical cancer or premalignant stages in order to provide all women worldwide with the best prevention solution.
Self-screen develops and validates the best possible tests that help women, clinicians and health care institutes to improve and optimize screening strategies. This involves the increase in participation by self-sampling methodologies, accurate detection of clinically meaningful HPV infections, and novel tests for HPV-positive women to accurately differentiate women who are in need of direct treatment, thereby reducing overtreatment of women with non-progressing disease.
We design, develop and validate tests for the detection, screening of (pre)cancer and monitoring of patients after (pre)cancer treatment. Most of our experience is in cervical (pre)cancer, followed by HPV related other cancers.
- Assay design and development
- technical and clinical assay validation
- Claim extension development and validation
- Assay production
- Research & Development projects