Electrodiagnostic Functional Assessment (EFA) Technology
The Gold Standard for Soft-Tissue Injury Diagnosis and Treatment — Better Care Anywhere. Emerge Diagnostics Inc. provides technology and services to optimize soft-tissue care, allowing patients to get back to living. Emerge’s Electrodiagnostic Functional Assessment (EFA) technology is now the gold standard for soft-tissue injury diagnosis and treatment, using a host of proprietary technologies to assess root causes—and from virtually anywhere in the world. While magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and X-ray remain essential and effective diagnostic tools, the diagnosis of soft-tissue injures has traditionally been more subject to interpretation. The result for patients, insurers, healthcare providers, and employers has in many cases been conflicting assessments and uncertain diagnosis. Emerge Diagnostics technology provides answers to questions that have traditionally eluded healthcare providers.
- Worldwide capability: If a tech with an internet connection can place electrodes on the patient, the patient can be safely and effectively assessed from just about anywhere in the world.
- Noninvasive: Emerge Diagnostics’ EFA combines Class II electromyogram with proprietary technologies to provide a safe, noninvasive diagnostic evaluation.
- Full range of motion: View soft tissue in time and place, through a range of motions—pushing and pulling; lifting and gripping.
- Better outcomes: Avoid unnecessary surgeries by getting a fuller picture of specific muscle groups and soft tissue areas. Pinpoint treatments to reduce narcotic dependence.
- Improved telemedicine: Emerge is highly portable, offering full range-of-motion readouts from anywhere in the world. View muscle and soft tissue function in real-time remotely — the only technology that can provide an objective virtual assessment for STI.
- Specificity: Is the patient exerting effort? Experiencing pain? Are the muscles recovering? Is there nerve irritation? Emerge provides answers. It is extremely accurate in pinpointing problems.
- Credible: Emerge Diagnostics technology is FDA Class-II registered and Daubert standard compliant for expert witness testimony.
Soft tissue injuries are difficult to diagnose, and MRIs cannot assist with sprain and strain injuries. Emerge’s Electrodiagnostic Functional Assessment (EFA) Test is designed to objectively diagnose and identify the location, extent, nature and age of soft tissue injuries. Our EFA technology is registered with the FDA as a Class II Medical Device for musculoskeletal disorders. By establishing employee baselines, Emerge’s EFA-STM program distinguishes acute workplace injuries and the exacerbation of pre-existing injuries from chronic, unrelated conditions. It is 100% ADA compliant.
How the Electrodiagnostic Functional Assessment (EFA) Test Works
Emerge’s EFA Test is a noninvasive and non-loading diagnostic evaluation that combines five American Medical Association accepted tests into one comprehensive, objective and reproducible evaluation that includes:
- Range of motion
- Functional assessment
- Pinch strength
- Grip strength
- Electromyography (EMG)
Emerge Diagnostics offers EFA testing, EFA-STM Program and Doctor Triage Programs.
EFA Evaluations focus on identifying the age and extent of sift tissue MSD conditions to offer better diagnosis and management.
What is the EFA Soft Tissue Management (EFA-STM) Program?
The EFA-STM Program is a bookend solution that measures current and new employees before and after workplace incidents to assist in determining if there is a work related change in condition and to offer site specific treatment options.
Why It’s Important to Measure Current and New Employees Pre-injury
The baseline test is not read, which avoids ADA complications.
How the EFA-STM Program Works
A baseline assessment is performed with current employees and new hires, and the unread data is immediately stored in a secured database. The baseline assessment is only read when an incident occurs and a post-injury assessment is performed.
The EFA-STM Program Provides a Comprehensive Bookend Solution
As a comprehensive bookend solution, the EFA-STM Program is a recommended best practice to accurately distinguish compensable acute workplace injuries and/or exacerbation of pre-existing injuries from chronic, unrelated conditions.
Emerge Diagnostics offers a customized DoctorTriage to offer objective assessment for MSD conditions but to also enhance the EFA-STM program. The purpose of this program is to offer companies and their employees access to doctors for triage of work related conditions. The triage doctors are experienced with the EFA STM program that targets better care for MSD conditions.
- More Objective Assessment
- Simultaneous visual and EFA monitoring
- Multiple areas of the body “palpated” Simultaneously with range of motion- more information that if seated in front the doctor
- Able to ascertain effort
- When used with EFA- STM allows aging of a condition
- Partnership with Emerge and Board Certified Physicians
- Incorporates objective IME with EFA
- Incorporates objective telemedicine component
- How is this different than a standard IME:
- No geographic limitations expands geographic reach
- With Covid telemedicine plays a more important role
- More Objective IME with EFA EFA adds a more objective element to the IME
- Virtual Palpation
- More objective information than direct in person visit
- Able to age Injury with EFA-STM Program implies date of injury Differentiates between acute and chronic pre-existing conditions
- Allows more access to specialists
- First time ever an objective virtual IME for MSD conditions